Order in the Court!


When I was younger, I couldn’t wait to be out and living on my own, in total freedom! Then eventually one day it happened, and I was living in my own place, away from family, starting school in a different state. The sudden freedom was overwhelming, but in a good way. I did pretty much whatever I wanted to do, whenever I wanted to do it. I sang at the table if I felt like it. I stayed up all night if I wanted. I even ran with scissors! But eventually I realized that too much freedom has its own issues, and that the freedom we really crave is the kind that comes from having God’s order in our lives. Notice I didn’t say anything about being smothered, quenched or denied. I’m simply saying that you and I tend to have more success when we decide to have the right kind of order in our lives.

Some boundaries in life are good, and are actually helpful. By eliminating certain unnecessary items, I'm free to focus on the ones I'm called to look after and be involved in. There’s a distinct difference between “I can” and “I should” in this life, and wisdom dictates that I learn that difference sooner than later. Just because I can eat ice cream every day, that doesn’t mean I should. And just because I can pursue my own, selfish motives in life, again, it doesn’t mean I should. God’s boundaries for us were never about dulling down life. They’ve always been about freeing us to focus on our relationships with him and with others. I encourage you today to allow God’s fences to become your fences, because there’s no greater freedom in life than the kind that comes from allowing God to set your house in order.

The Lord and the Spirit are one and the same, and the Lord’s Spirit sets us free.
–2 Corinthians 3:17 (CEV)

@takinghigher