A Moment in Time

First the racquet fell away. Then the hat flew behind him as he ran. I can still remember it vividly, but all in slow motion. My son David turned and ran toward the gate, as fast as a 5-year old could run. Our cheerful game of tennis had turned into a sudden urgency as he darted from asphalt to grass, making a beeline for the large oak tree ahead. As he came up under those high branches he pressed his thumbs into the waist of his pants. His hips and knees danced in opposite directions as he freed himself. Suddenly his hands shot up into the air, arms straight and chest puffed out. This image must have looked to others like some white pygmy, worshiping the tree before him. And then not a move. Except for the stream that appeared in front of him, making the whole scene look a lot like a statue of a cherub, in the front court of a museum. Yes, he had made it! And now relief was his.

Why did I share this strange little story? Well, for one thing, because it’s a vivid memory of a morning spent with my son. We’ll never get that day back, but I’ll have that memory forever. It was an amusing moment, but also one that moistens my eyes when I think about how much that little guy has always meant to me. I also share this memory to remind you that this is very similar to how God feels about you. You’ve also done some things to make him chuckle, and he’ll never forget about those special times you’ve shared together. He’s watched you grow and mature, and he cherishes each moment with you. Is it possible to find time today to spend a few precious moments with your Heavenly Father? I think it would mean a lot for both of you.

Come close to God and He will come close to you.
- James 4:8 (AMP)